WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? You and your family are always on the go. You work so many hours. You have so many commitments. For the love of ???? what are you doing?
You are absolutely right. All of you who have told us all of the things – some more helpfully than others. Some more politely than others. But this post is not a response to those comments. Instead, it’s me putting my marker in the sand. So that when things get really challenging with our puppy, I’ll be able to remember why we’re doing this. I hope that point won’t come too often or too soon. At this point, even though I am exhausted and it’s only three days in, we’re all confident that we are doing the right thing for our family at this point. Here’s why:
– We are healing our broken hearts. We can’t bring my Dad back. We are slowly getting our heads around that. But we can make our hearts bigger to do more loving and keep the space for my Dad as well.
– We are committing ourselves to exercise for the whole family. No need to say any more about that as it’s a fricking awesome thing.
– We won’t be able to spend as much time on technology – this is already happening. We need to be present with our dog. Attentive, ready to respond. This means we can’t be goggle eyed on phones, laptops, the PS4 or tv.
– We are looking for new adventures. Puppy training started on Tuesday and we’re researching agility classes which encourage our boys to be the trainers – Sunday mornings will never be the same again once we can do this.
– We are opening ourselves up to new ways of cementing and doing things with the friends we already have. Having visitors and visiting friends – both are important to us and our dog adds a beautiful dimension to that.
– We are de cluttering – we know we need to get rid – recycle, re gift, or get rid of entirely – so much stuff – stuffocation – remember the book? We are getting rid of stuff to free ourselves and make our space puppy friendly.
– We are cleaning more than we ever have. The boys are happier to hoover. Happier to take their clothes away and put them safe – for themselves and Scout’s sake!
– We are bringing love, fun and happiness to my Mum’s life. She needs us more than ever before. And we need her, at her best self, to be part of our family as well.
– We’re working to live our best lives. Individually and as a team. Never more than this week has that been front and centre with the loss of a friend who I didn’t know as well I’d like to. Go online, search for #BeMoreWitWitWoo and see others doing the same in honour and celebration of Kate.
All of these things individually are a good thing to do. Together, they make me feel that as the mother in this family – the matriarch – we’re going forwards as I have always worked to and always wanted to – together, with purpose and pride in ourselves and the communities we live in and contribute to. #BeMoreWitWitWoo – live your best life. Stay in your own lane and make it an incredible journey.