For a friend who has never done it, despite owning a slow cooker, here’s how I do ham in coca cola, along with a round up of other people’s ham in coca cola receipes – from nigella, to delia, everyone’s done it at some point!!!
1. Buy a big piece of unsmoked ham, (I buy £25 in money’s worth), buy coca cola – the branded stuff, enough to cover the ham in the slow cooker entirely, and one or two onions, and some brown sugar. And you must buy a disposable tin foil tin from the 99p shop – this is vital !!!
2. Wash ham to get rid of gunky bits. Put in slow cooker.
3. Take skin off onion or onions, chop into 4 – big chunky bits, add to slow cooker and cover with coca cola.
4. Turn slow cooker on and leave to cook for at least 8 hours if not more. Look at the cooking time if you’ve got a Huge Bit of Ham.
5. Take ham and mushy onion out of the slow cooker. Keep some of your “juices”. They are lush. Don’t panic if it’s split into two. We just re assemble it as best we can. And eat a bit whilst we are there ;)
6. Score ham, the rub in lots and lots of brown sugar – demerera sugar, wahtever you like, but brown is always nicer.
7. Some people add cloves n “stuff” but I don’t.
8. Put some of the “juices” over the ham and onions in the tray – they make a congealed sauce that is drool worthy.
9. Put into very hot oven to crisp up – meat and for juice to evaporate and thicken.
10. When you’ve got a crispy topping, turn the oven off and leave to cool where it is.
11. Remove from oven. Ensure husband is to hand to stop you gorging on it there and then.
12. Eat as snacks, meals, sneaky bits on the side. Put sauce into a bowl for dipping or jug if it’s runny enough. Eat the onions yourself. They are a treat for the chef !!!!!
Please note: our ham looks NOTHING like the picture. It’s burnt, crispy, chewy, dripping with juice and doesn’t hang together nicely for slicing like the image. It’s the first I could find!!
Here’s ham in coca cola nigella style
Here’s ham in coca cola delia style, but it looks quite different receipe wise
Here’s ham in coca cola from the good food channel
Here’s a whole conversation on ham in coca cola from Mumsnet!!